Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sweet Pepper sauce, mmmmm

Recently while discussing children with a friend at work she was talking about her baby food maker that she just loves.  How she makes pear sauce, apples, cauliflower and even pesto in this little magical machine.  Then it dawned on me that I too could use a baby food maker to make all kinds of wonderful sauces and purees without making a huge mess in the kitchen.  The same day I purchased a Beaba baby food machine on eBay.  (much cheaper than brand new) 
 What I like about the baby food maker is that it steams and blends in the same pitcher.  The entire reason that I have never ventured into making any of my own sauces of any kind is that I do not want to take the time to steam veggies and other ingredients on the stove, transfer them and blend them.  Overall I know it is not that hard but this is so much easier and less of a mess.  My first creation in my new toy was a sweet pepper sauce.  I have used this sauce on pizzas, pastas, quesadillas as a veggie dip and more.  Here is the basic setup.

You Will Need:
1) Sweet Peppers individual will work, I like this little bag with a variety of types inside.  Any pepper is fine
2)0% Fat Greek Yogurt (adds a creaminess)
3) seasoning of your choice
4) If not an appliance for steaming a pan with a basket insert will work or you could saute the veggies in a pan.
 STEPS:

1)Chip the veggies up until you have the desired amount, I fill the steamer basket to make about 1 cup
2)STEAM
3)After the veggies have steamed (about 15min) drain the extra water if you want a thicker sauce
4)Add Greek Yogurt, I used 1/4 of a cup
5)Season, I simply added Minced Garlic


6) Blend to desired consistency and like Magic you have a wonderful sweet and creamy sauce!

 Next week I will post some of the recipes I have used this sauce for the give you some ideas but never forget to think outside of the box!  Just because it is SUPPOSED to be a baby food maker does not mean it can't be used for anything else!  These are much cheaper than a vitamix!

Nutritional Information
1 cup
Carbs 16g
Protein 8g
Fat 0

I usually use 1/4 cup at a time, ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment