Monday, June 25, 2012

A sample weight routine for any skill level

As you continue to follow this blog you will notice over and over that I stress the importance of resistance training.  I will give you a personal example of why resistance training is so important for long term success.  When I began my transformation almost 7 months ago with X Training my trainer/coach Katie started me off eating about 145 grams of Carbohydrates each day, 40 grams of fat and 135 grams of protein.  Gradually as I lost weight, plateaued a bit and then got to the stage where I was simply trying to squeeze the last fat off of my thighs over 6 months those numbers at their lowest were 110 grams of Carbohydrates, 30 grams of fat and 130 grams of protein.

Since achieving the weight, look and body fat that I desired we have been slowly building my food intake back up again so that I can add more lean muscle mass and eat at a maintenance level.  Long story short, currently I am eating almost 200 grams of Carbohydrates per day, 55 grams of fat and 145 grams of protein and HAVE NOT GAINED A SINGLE POUND!  That is almost twice as much food, this is due to the fact that I have built up so much lean muscle mass that my metabolism is on fire and have also been extremely consistent in following my diet and exercise program. If I had lost weight simply doing cardio this would not be the case because that time on the treadmill would be doing almost nothing to help my metabolism in the long term.

If you simply do not know where to start here is a sample of one of my very favorite weight training routines, provided to me by Katie Wilson at X Training.  I enjoyed this one a lot because it is very simple, straight forward and quick.  It is heavy lifting so form is important, it will also get you results and have you in and out of the gym in less than an hour.


DAY 1: LEGS
  • Barbell squats: 3 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Leg press: 2 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Stiff-legged dead lifts: 3 sets x 4-6 reps
  • One-legged calf raises: 3 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Sitting calf raises: 2 sets x 4-6 reps

DAY 2: ARMS & ABS
  • Barbell curls: 2 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Hammer curls: 2 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Preacher curls: 1 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Close-grip bench press: 2 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Weighted triceps variation dips: 2 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Skull crushers: 1 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Palms-down dumbbell wrist curl: 2 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Palms-Up Dumbbell wrist curl: 2 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Decline sit-ups with weight: 2 sets x 8-12 reps
  • Leg raises with weight: 2 sets x 8-12 reps

DAY 3: SHOULDERS
  • Shoulder press: 4 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Upright rows: 3 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Bent over lateral raises 3: sets x 4-6 reps

DAY 4: - NO WEIGHTS
·       Cardio Optional-

DAY 5: CHEST
  • Incline Barbell Press 3 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Decline Flyes 3 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Dumbbell Press 3 sets x 4-6 reps

DAY 6: BACK
  • Wide Grip Chin ups 3 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Bent-Over Barbell Rows 3 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Lat Pull downs 3 sets x 4-6 reps
  • Dead lifts 3 sets x 4-6 reps

DAY 7: -NO WEIGHTS
·      Cardio Optional


 Please remember to always use proper form and ask for help from a trainer or friend if you are unsure of the proper form.  There are also a lot of video instructions available online at www.muscleandstrength.com, youtube or just plain Google.  






Happy Lifting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment